Ms. Buket Benek Gursoy
Buket has a B.Sc. degree in Mathematical Engineering and an M.Sc. degree in Computational Science and Engineering from the Istanbul Technical University, Turkey. During her M.Sc. study, she worked on the solution of large scale scientific problems with parallel programming libraries such as MPI and OpenMP. She mainly focused on: solving large sparse/non-sparse linear systems of equations; preconditioning techniques; sparse matrix storage schemes.
After her M.Sc., she started a Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. Oliver Mason at the Hamilton Institute, NUI Maynooth. During her Ph.D., she worked on the max algebra and its applications to ranking schemes, in particular: spectral and stability theory in the max algebra; ranking in multi-criteria decision making problems and the Analytic Hierarchy Process; multi-objective optimization. Buket expects to graduate later this year.
Buket is a reviewer for the AMS Mathematical Reviews and a member of the International Linear Algebra Society. She joined ICHEC in November 2012 as a computational scientist under the European HPC project PRACE.
Peer reviewed journal articles (2011-2013):
- B. Benek Gursoy, O. Mason and S. Sergeev, The Analytic Hierarchy Process, Max Algebra and Multi-objective Optimisation, arXiv:1207.6572v1 (2012). (accepted by Linear Algebra Appl.)
- B. Benek Gursoy and O. Mason, P1max and Smax properties and asymptotic stability in the max algebra, Linear Algebra Appl. 435 (2011) 1008–1018.
- B. Benek Gursoy and O. Mason, Spectral properties of matrix polynomials in the max algebra, Linear Algebra Appl. 435 (2011) 1626-1636.
Conference and Workshop Abstracts (2005-2013):
- B. Benek Gursoy, O. Mason and S. Sergeev, Application of the Max Algebra to Ranking Schemes in AHP, Workshop of the LMS Joint Research Group: Tropical Mathematics and its Applications, 2012, Birmingham, UK.
- B. Benek Gursoy and O. Mason, P1max and Smax properties and asymptotic stability in the tropical linear algebra, International Linear Algebra Society (ILAS), 2011, Braunschweig, Germany.
- B. Benek Gursoy and O. Mason, Matrix Polynomials in the Max Algebra; Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors and Inequalities, International Linear Algebra Society (ILAS), 2010, Pisa, Italy.
- B. Benek and M. Demiralp, Approximation Methods for the Solution of Quantum Evolution Equations at the Zero Fluctuation Limit, Multivariate Analysis and its Application in Science and Engineering (MAASE), 2008, Istanbul.
- B. Benek and H. Dag, A Comparison of Decomposition Techniques for Structurally Symmetric Sparse Matrices for Parallel Incomplete LU Factorization, International Conference on Computational Science and Education (ICCSE), 2006, Rochester NY.
- H. Dag, G. Soykan and B. Benek, Can Interval Arithmetic Based Preconditioner Work For Nonlinear Systems?, International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (ICCSE), 2005, Istanbul.